Friday, January 10, 2014

"Happy Homemaking!" (oh put a sock in it...)



Isn't that how some of us are apt to feel towards homemaking sometimes: cynical, pessimistic, and sarcastic. We can easily find inexhaustible resources of support online and in literature when the tasks of modern homemaking become just too overwhelming, but why is it so overwhelming?

Women for ages did the cooking, taught the children, cleaned the house, clothed the family, gardened, and kept the livestock, all without electricity--so why can't I consistently keep my house clean?

Well for one thing, we must recognize that most of those women of yesteryear died pretty young by todays standards. Though most historians say that was caused by disease, poor living conditions and the dangers of childbearing, I'm apt to say think that some of those early demises resulted from working themselves to death. This is something I try to keep in mind, I can do it all on my own, or I can have my health.

Another reason why we feel overwhelmed and always behind is that with added ease has come added expectation.

100 years ago, the average woman had far less material possessions to maintain. She didn't expect herself to be always setting the standard of fashion to her peers, she didn't have elaborate makeup, hair, or manicures. She didn't go through seven + outfits in one week. Laundry was physically strenuous activity and clothes were hard to come by. Washer machines, dryers, and store bought clothes have changed all that, and since we love to dress up we have filled up the time these conveniences would have bought us with--more work.

100 years ago meals were simple, possessions were few, and houses were small--thus cleaning wouldn't take very long in such circumstances but we don't live in such circumstances. Our homes our large, our possession many, and we feel the need to make meals fit for food network. Do you know what people would eat for lunch in 1850?-- cheese and bread, or a baked potato, simple as that.

Now I'm not saying we should have one outfit to be worn everyday of the week or that we should return to the dietary standards of the 19th century--such extremes are both freakish and unhealthy--but we should take an account of where we are expending unnecessary time and concern, then simplify our lives.

Oh, and I forgot one thing, pioneer did not have pinterest. Oh pinterest that wondrous thing that both blesses and curses us, that uplifts us and destroys us, that makes life easier and more complicated. I love pinterest, I have been immensely blessed by this website, but I also recognize that if I do not exercise some wisdom and restraint Pinterest can become my undoing by making me feel like I need to do all these things all of the time and then craft something out wood pallets.

Choose what matters and simplify life. Spending time with your children matters, dust in the corner doesn't. Having a clean, comfortable home is important, having a home ready to be photographed for Better Homes & Gardens at any given moment, doesn't. Feeding your family a healthy meal is essential, making an exact replica of Buckingham palace out of gingerbread for desert is not.

Do what you love in homemaking, there is a time and place for the elaborate but not every day.

1 comment: