Sunday, October 13, 2013

Give Early and Give Freely

Yesterday afternoon I was amused to find Christmas merchandise already being installed at the store I was shopping at. Perhaps it put me in the mood to compile my list of "who gets what" for Christmas . I'm already working on a sweater for my two month old son, Hildebrand, as well as his baby quilt. Currently, I'm shopping around for what yarn I will use to make Fiona's, my almost two year old, dress with. We don't buy many gifts for our children for Christmas, at least we don't plan to. Of course I must purchase supplies to make gifts, but it seems such a greater investment to spen $5 or more dollars on what may become a prized heirloom than equal amounts of money spend on cheap toys to be broken and discarded. Santa is bringing a doll house and a toy truck. Mother and Father bought new books and made them sweaters and quilts. We keep Christmas modest and simple because we want to give our children the gift of appreciation for what they have and for our family.

There is a talk by President Henry B. Eyring that he gave at BYU some 30 or more years ago entitled "Gifts of Love". It has greatly shaped my philosophy of what kind of Mother I am trying to be. In the talk, he speaks to college students of the need to develop talents and skills now, not for themselves, but as gifts of love to their children. The ability to work with your child to help them understand their algebra homework, the ability to express your love through a letter to a child that is far from home and in adverse circumstances,the gift of a righteous parent, and so on.

Before I practiced my work for myself and my own fulfillment and fame. However, I have since changed in understanding and use my talents to benefit  my loved ones. This part of the reason that I blog,to share what I know and feel to help and encourage others, but also to develop my written expressions of thought so that my letter writing might bring that much more enjoyment to my children when they are away..  Other gifts I endeavor to give are : reading, music, art, mathematics, languages, service to others, my testimony.

I read and sing to my children often. I recently bought a sketch book and pencils so that I might sit down next to Fiona while she colors every morning and practice my drawing. She loves to watch me color I her coloring book with her. Imagine her wonder as she watches me revive my dormant drawing skills, it may inspire her to color more, or at least keep her occupied and calm a minute or two longer. I have kept my German books with plans to add basic German vocabulary to some of the activities I do with Fiona. Mathematics will have to wait until children have started school. I can babysit for free and bring dinners and visits to those in need and who are lonely and the children may come with me as well. They will witness, as I did with my mother, generosity to others.

Every day I try to live better than the next that my life may bear my testimony for me in the eyes of my children, lest they not listen when I try to do so verbally. This is all I can do but love them and love The Lord that they might do so as well in their turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment