Friday, November 8, 2013

The Life I Want to Live

Remember those old Walgreens commercials about a fictional town called "Perfect", a Norman Rockwell-ian paradise where all was pleasant and quaint.

This place does not exist.

Sometimes I feel that my homemaking career is in some tidy little bungalow in Perfect.

While I was finishing up my bachelors degree, I daydreamed of playing with children, making cookies and homemade bread, crafting curtains, quilts, and placemats with love in every stitch.

The fun things about staying at home.

Yet I struggle to get past the drudge of it--laundry, dishes, diapers, groceries. By then I'm exhausted and tired and everything seems so taxing.

I just replaced my lost copy of Betty Crocker's Cookybook. It was the first cookbook my mom bought me when I was a tween. As I flipped though the pages, perusing potential Christmas cookies, I couldn't remember the last time I made a batch of cookies more demanding than chocolate no-bakes.

Time, always slipping through my fingers, always so elusive.

So what is eating up my time?

We're closing in on the end of the year. Now is the perfect opportunity to look at my life and change my priorities. Figure out just what kind of day I want to have and live it.

2 comments: